CodeIgniter vs Laravel | Which is Best? – QalbIT
PHP has proved to be the popular choice for backend developers to build custom solutions using the PHP Framework. It’s essential for ensuring the speeding up of the web development process. Different kinds of PHP networks are now available on the web and have proved to be one of the choices.
In this article, you will learn about the detailed comparison of the Codeigniter Vs Laravel. So let us go ahead with the discussion regarding the two frameworks.
What is Laravel?
Laravel serves in the form of the open-source widely used PHP framework and was invented to develop the web application with the utilization of the MVC architecture pattern. Laravel had its release under the MIT license.
What is Codeigniter?
PHP Codeigniter serves in the form of the powerful PHP Network and is built for the developers looking forward to the simple and elegant toolkit for creating full-featured web applications. In addition to that, Codeigniter is one of the best options for creating dynamic websites using PHP.
It can also provide ample liberty for the users as there is no longer a necessity to hang on the MVC development outline. Hire the Codeigniter Development Company who ensures offering the best solutions for your business. Now let us move to comparison points.
Codeigniter Vs. Laravel: why you should choose Laravel?
Laravel comes with a version control system that can ensure helping with the simplified management of the migration. In addition to that, it can also ensure modular packaging with the composite-based dependency manager.
There is the perfect support for the eloquent ORM. Laravel serves in the form of advanced active record implementation. The support for the DBMS platform, including the SQLserver, MySQL makes it favorable. It also comes with a plethora of functionalities and features that support the command alongside the sample codes line interface.
There is great documentation support as well. In addition to that, the Framework will always allow enforcement of the constraints between the multiple objects using the advanced query builder mechanism. The Framework is also available with the autoloading features. You don’t have to go ahead with the manual maintenance. The Framework also helps with the generation of new tools.
Codeigniter Vs. Laravel: why should you choose Codeigniter?
Codeigniter is one of the topmost and best PHP frameworks that offer great support with the immediate answers provided by the active Codeigniter community. In addition to that, you can get enhanced stability alongside the support.
The clear structure documentation also makes it stand out. It comes with a simple routing method that can ensure assisting you while also guaranteeing improved performance with the loading times.
Codeigniter Or Laravel: What is The Difference?
Laravel and Codeigniter are two different frameworks designed for different use cases. CodeIgniter isn’t into the facilitation of ORM. Laravel ensures offering the support with the web developer to gain the benefit of eloquent object-relational mapping ORM. Learn the php Laravel Vs Codeigniter comparison.
CodeIgniter needs web developers to formulate and sustain the modules using the modular extension, while Laravel gets made-up with inbuilt modularity characteristics.
The major difference between CodeIgniter and Laravel is applicable in the form that CodeIgniter is a minimalistic microframework. On the other hand, Laravel serves as a full-stack framework.
Key Aspects of CodeIgniter vs Laravel are as follows:
- Construction with the updates
Laravel follows the model-view-controller (MVC) pattern of filing. In addition to that, there is a command-line tool referred to as the Artisan.
MVC architectural pattern alongside the supplies turns out to be easy on-boarding. The pattern based on object-oriented programming is favorable for use as per developer needs.
Laravel supports Microsoft SQL Server, IBM DB2, PostgreSQL, JDBC compatible, ORACLE, MySQL, and orientDB.
Codeigniter supports PostgreSQL, MySQL, MongoDB, and Microsoft BI. Also, support is available for Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, and DB2.
- Inbuilt Modules
The Laravel framework with inbuilt modularity features splits a project into trivial modules.
The Codeigniter framework isn’t responsible for the delivery of any inbuilt modularity feature. Modular Extension assists the developers.
There is support for Laravel with the communicative coding pattern, and it is more useful compared to CodeIgniter. Ease of usage in 2.x offers enhanced assistance to the developers.
- Facilitation of RESTful API
RESTful Controller methods are responsible for further assistance of the Laravel developers to produce REST API.
With Codeigniter, there is no simplified and streamlined development of REST APIs.
- Online Support
Laravel offers authorized documentation. CodeIgniter offers inbuilt functionality to let you utilize it without prior knowledge of it.
- Template Language
Laravel offers a Blade template engine, and CodeIgniter comes with PHP proprietary.
- Database model
Laravel works on a Relational object-oriented framework, and CodeIgniter enables object-oriented frameworks.
The authentication class trait is simpler for Laravel developers to facilitate authorization.
CodeIgniter isn’t supportive of the inbuilt authentication traits.
- Unit testing
Laravel allows developers to check application code carefully. CodeIgniter lacks an inbuilt unit testing tool. Rather, there is a need for the evaluation of the value of the application.
Features of Laravel:
- Effortless Integration with third-party libraries
- Modular packaging
- Query Builder in the form of potential ORM alternative
- Easy to use the blade-templating engine
- Built-in authentication mechanisms
- Unmatched quality session control
Features of CodeIgniter:
- Simple to use MVC framework
- Extremely LightWeight framework
- Security and XSS Filtering
- Form and Data Validation
- Session management
- Image Manipulation Library
- File Uploading Class
- Error Logging
- Calendar Class, template Engine Class alongside Unit Testing Class
- Data validation
- Inbuilt class support
Pros and Cons
Pros of Laravel
- Pre-packaged tools facilitate common tasks for building web applications by offering ready-to-use packages.
- Templating engine Blade offers enormous power to format.
- Automation with Artisan CLI ensures offering the ability to automate recurring, application-specific tasks.
- Reverse routing serves as a unique feature supporting the automatic propagation of changes in routes.
- Automated testing ensures expressive testing methods with PHPUnit.
Cons of Laravel
- The composer is not sufficiently robust when matched with other platforms.
- Lack of direct continuation amid versions 4 and 5 has been seen.
Pros of CodeIgniter
- Safety measures with the application customization ensures strengthening its security. There is an option for building security protocols for specific organizational needs.
- Codeigniter framework collaborates with Expression Engine to offer better support for built-in user authentication with modular applications. Also, you will get the availability of ready-to-use templates.
- User-friendly Interface ensures offering dynamic functionality alongside the responsive website experience. You can get the enhanced UI with flexibility.
Cons of CodeIgniter
- There are issues with unstable code maintainability. That said, it turns out to be tedious for developers to update, modify, and maintain the code.
- Lack of development and growth has been the result of the lesser updates.
Based on the considerations, choose the best fit framework between Codeigniter or Laravel. We’ve stated the major difference between Codeigniter and Laravel.
At QalbIT, we are a topmost Product Development, Codeigniter and Laravel development company. Let’s get in touch to empower your successive projects!
Frequently asked questions
Laravel turns out to be a better framework than CodeIgniter due to the coding pattern. In addition to that, it supports robust application development in no time. However, based on your needs, you should pick the one that fits you.
CodeIgniter exists, but some people misnomer that it is a low-quality solution. Both Laravel and CodeIgniter are open-source frameworks that have their benefits.
First of all, you will have to determine the primary goal of your application. Also, determine the level of automation and documentation. Find out whether the Framework lets you enjoy active support.